When I was in college, I used to work at an Italian Restaurant in NYC. After the craziness of the holiday season, Januaries were pretty quiet. The restaurant took advantage of this time to do its annual cleaning. We would close for two weeks and clean. And while the staff didn’t exactly love it, we still got paid, and we came out the other side squeaky and clean. And until this day, I still know how to clean a teardrop chandelier. OK, that might be a useless skill, but nonetheless.
Many of us are in the midst of a lockdown. So why not take advantage of a little quiet time to focus on the things on your to list that you never seem to get to during the day to day life. Here are ten things to do while working from home.
- Update your website – You know it’s been on your to-do list forever. Write a blog, update your services, update your messaging. The same goes for your social media accounts.
- Update your LinkedIn profile – LinkedIn is the default business network. Are you still rocking a biopic from 10 years ago? Have you reached out to clients for endorsements? Have you posted an update recently? What are you waiting for?
- Clean out your inbox – Seriously, you have a gazillion old emails, why? Hit delete, trust me – you’ll feel better.
- Update your CV/resume – I know you are not looking for a job, but it never hurts to keep your CV current. Have you had any new training to add to your skills section? Do you volunteer?
- Reach out to customers and your network – There are going to be a lot of folks home staring at their computers. Reach out, no agenda, just a friendly, how are you doing? How are you coping?
- Install those updates – Later, later – it’s later. Install the latest updates and run a computer clean up on your computer.
- Update your passwords – Seriously, we all know your password is your dog’s name. Consider creating separate new passwords for personal and business use. Vow to do this one every six months. Security is next to Godliness!!!
- Update your business plan – What you don’t have a plan. Oh, don’t even get me started on this one. Have you updated your projections? Reviewed your target demographic? Competitive landscape changes?
- Study for a Professional Certification – This one comes for our friends at PM Workshops, have you meant to study for professional development? Now, it is a good time while things are quiet.
- Set up your home office – There is a good chance that once this blows over that many more folks will telecommute. It’s time to clean out that spare room and make it a functional working space.
As I said, I am not sure we loved cleaning chandeliers, but we always had some fun, we were paid, and those neglected chores were finally taken care of. We can get through this challenge and come out the other side updated and prepared to charge forward.
This will pass, and we will welcome the chance to return to our normal lives and routines. Until then, please be safe and take care of one another.