MICHAEL P. DOHERTY
+049 0170 319 2068
2003 – Present Doherty & Associates
Founder SAN FRANCISCO | BERLIN
Mike Doherty, the founder of Doherty & Associates, has a long history of business development, strategy and planning. Mike has launched and managed several ventures personally, so he understands the challenges of managing day-to-day operations while remaining focused on growth opportunities and the bottom line. He has also worked as an investor and a lender and therefore recognizes the demands and expectations these parties bring to the mix. Mike’s clients benefit from both perspectives.
Mike has an extensive background in corporate investments, including the evaluation and underwriting of over $100 million in venture debt financing for emerging growth companies. Prior to Doherty & Associates, he was a director at Third Coast Capital, a venture lending organization that committed more than $125 million in venture debt investments. Mike was one of the first employees when Third Coast was established in 1996 with an initial investment by Cargill, Inc., the largest privately held company in the United States. His focus was originating and underwriting venture staged debt products.
He is also the Program Manager for Angelsbootcamp. Angelsbootcamp is a Startupbootcamp initiative to train Angels across Europe and beyond
- Launched and developed business advisory firm.
- Launched and developed Understanding eCommerce – an Internet marketing firm.
- Developed strategic relationships with service providers including lawyers, consultants, brokers and accountants.
- Awarded the portfolio-servicing contract of a $65.0 M investment portfolio owned by DVI Financial Services, Inc. (NYSE:DVI). Servicing includes:
o Portfolio Management
o Investor Relations
o Strategic relations with investor partners
o M&A support on proposed asset sales.
o Negotiated and successfully liquidated DVI’s position on assets in excess of $20.0 M.
- Launched and developed four in house online specialty retail businesses.
- Co-founded BNI 3.0 – Noe Valley Chapter.
- Co-founded BNI Belin Bulls – Berlin Chapter.
- Leadership San Francisco 2006
- Instructor – Renaissance Entrepreneurial Center – Business Planning, Finance, QuickBooks, Excel, Marketing and Internet/eCommerce strategies at SOMA and Bayview (2003 – 2012).
- Instructor – SF District Attorney’s Head Start Program for troubled youth and first time offenders (2009)
- Instructor – SF District Attorney’s Re-Entry Program for prison re-entry (2009)
- Instructor – Hunters Point Family for at risk youth (2008)
- Guest Speaker – SF Small Business Association, University of San Francisco | School of Management and Wells Fargo’s Dollars & Sense.
- Launched, developed and sold Bayview Hunters Point Community site.
- Board of Directors – Golden Gate Business Association (2004 – 2009, President, 2007) and SF Small Business Network representing over 19,000 small local businesses (2004 – 2009, President 2008).
- Member – Golden Gate Business Association, German American Business Alliance (GABA), Irish Business Network, BNI, Toastmasters and SF Small Business Network.
1998-2002 THIRD COAST CAPITAL, a division of DVI, Inc. NYSE (DVI)
Director – Business Development SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Opened and developed San Francisco office.
Sourced, underwrote and negotiated $100.0+ million in asset financings: structure, pricing and equity participation. Investments included:
Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Returning $7.0 million on $2.0 million investment
Cerent Corporation, which was purchased by Cisco Systems for $7.0 billion (the largest amount ever paid for a private company). Returning $13.0 million on a $2.0 million investment.
Amber Networks, Inc. (acquired by Nokia Corporation), Equinix Inc. NASDAQ (EQIX), Silicon Laboratories, Inc. NASDAQ (SLAB) and Google (NASDAQ:GOOG).
Over 35% of current portfolio experienced liquidation events resulting in warrant gains greater than $40.0 million.
Portfolio has a 31.0% time weighted IRR on invested capital net of SG&A.
Initiated and facilitated competitors’ involvement in syndicated transactions in excess of $50.0 M.
1996 – 1998 Chief Financial Officer CHICAGO, IL
Participated in the sale of Third Coast Capital and its limited and general partner interests to DVI, Inc. (NYSE:DVI).
Managed financial reporting and administration of limited, general partnership and management company including financial reporting and compliance with lenders (Silicon Valley Bank) and annual audit financials (Price Waterhouse Coopers).
Investor Relations – Managed all communications and reporting with investors (Cargill, Pritzkers).
Executed all aspects of operations including customer service, documentation, broker desk and vendor programs.
Responsible for portfolio analysis of existing borrowers and prospects.
Marketed company’s services to investors, prospects and industry partners through conferences and direct efforts.
1992 – 1996 THE LINC GROUP CHICAGO, IL
Vice President – Portfolio Services
Responsible for the acquistion, credit, collection, and litigation of four portfolios.
Performed due diligence of prospective portfolio acquisitions.
Underwrote lease fundings for securitization candidates.
Participated in marketing and due diligence of securitization packages to rating agencies and potential investors.
Originated and implemented policy and procedures for the acquired portfolios.
Negotiated buy-outs of end-of-lease terms.
Managed vendor programs with national manufacturers.
1989 – 1992 VENDOR FUNDING CO. NEW HYDE PARK, NY
Credit and Collection Manager
Managed all credit, collection and litigation functions of leasing company.
Coordinated remarketing and upgrade programs with existing vendors.
Collaborated with national software developer in design and implementation of leasing system software.
Negotiated end-of-lease options on existing portfolio.
Managed investor relations on tax-investment trusts.
1987 – 1989 EUROPEAN AMERICAN BANK UNIONDALE, NY
Managed consumer automotive customer service, titles and documentation, collections and recovery
Administered the liquidation of recovered assets and auto auctions.
Developed and implemented policy and procedures for Consumer Automotive Division.
1986 – 1987 MARINE MIDLAND AUTOMOTIVE FINANCIAL MELVILLE, NY
1982 – 1986 UNITED STATES AIR FORCE TINKER AFB, OK
DEGREE DEPAUL UNIVERSITY CHICAGO, IL
Bachelor of Science in Finance and Commerce
Mike is an Alumnus of the 1997 Class of the Venture Capital Institute (VCI) and the 2006 Class of Leadership
San Francisco (LSF). Mike has served on the boards of the Golden Gate Business Association (GGBA 2004-2009/President 2007) and previously the SF Small Business Network (SBN 2004-2009/President 2008). Currently, Mike works with disadvantaged entrepreneurs to launch and grow their businesses.
U. S. Small Business Administration
455 Market St. 6th Fl.
San Francisco, CA 94105
Phone: (415) 744-6771
Barbara Mark, Ph D
NAWBO SF – National Association of Women Business Owners
2325 3rd Street, Suite 337
San Francisco, CA 94107